Friday, January 3, 2014

Currently: January

I'm so excited to be linking up with "currently" this month. I feel like I'm always a day late and a dollar short, but I love reading everyone else's posts, so I'm joining in on the fun once again. So here's my January "currently":

Listening: I *love* country music!!! I'll admit, it's been a little hard turning off the Christmas music (and yes, I might have cried a little when I took down my tree yesterday), so I've turned on the "today's country" station on pandora, and it's helped me get over the post-Christmas blues. Love me some Lady Antebellum, Hunter Hayes, Taylor Swift, and all the other great tunes that have been playing while I've been working on this post!

Loving: winter break.... But really, is there any teacher that DOESN'T love it?! I'm sure after 17 days of "Saturdays", Monday is going to be pretty rough for me :( this has been a much-needed break and I am so glad it came when it did!!

Thinking: how many school days until spring break?! WHY?! (No, not just because I want another break!!) But because I'm going to Hawaii for the first time in my life during spring break!!! I'm so excited to get away from the cold and snow and do nothing on a beach for an entire week :) 

Wanting: I have spent most of Christmas break just sleeping, because I was sick from around the time of my birthday, up until just now (after 3 rounds of antibiotics, I'm finally starting to feel human again.... But oh man, I wasn't sure I would make it through December!!) Now that I finally have the energy to create, it's time to go back to school :( I have some great ideas and just need the time to make it all. Story of my life I suppose!

Needing: SUNSHINE.... Oh. My. Word. The air quality here in Utah is simply AWFUL.... I'm talking, inversions so bad you can SEE the air. It's some of the worst air in the nation. Disgusting. Gross. The end. 

Favorite memory / tradition: I'm putting 2 things here.... Christmas ornaments and Christmas Eve. One of my favorite traditions that my mom started was buying a new Christmas ornament for me and my brother each year. Now that I have my own house, it's fun to put all of my ornaments up and remember what they represent. I have ornaments from family vacations (I'd say at least half of my ornaments are Disney! Lol!) Dance figurines, precious moments, willow trees, and all sorts of fun things. I love my Christmas tree!!

My other favorite tradition is Christmas Eve. Each year, my grandma takes all of the granddaughters to see "The Nutcracker", then we have a big family party! We play bingo for white elephant presents, eat a big dinner, and Santa comes to bring all of the kids a present. It is such a fun evening and I love that we have a big extended family to celebrate with. 

Here's a picture of my tree. {sniff}. My house feels so empty right now :(

4 comments:

  1. Saw you at Farley's Currently so I thought I'd stop by! I love your traditions. My husband's family also does new ornaments every year and that has trickled over to my daughter. She's going to have a lot of them when she grows up! I make sure to mark the year so there is no guessing. So many memories in those little objects! Have a great weekend!

    Shibahn
    Mrs. Landry's Land of Learning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im loving this break too!
    Latoya Reed
    Flying into FIrst

    ReplyDelete
  3. I complain when we have grey, snowy days here in NY. Today the sun was shining .. yes it was cold, but it was nice running errands. I do not think I could deal with less sun.. or bad air quality. I have asthma. I found your blog through currently. I counted the number of weeks before my next break. Isn't that sad. I love teaching, but love days ... weeks.... off , too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that it's going to be hard to go back to school tomorrow! I'm hoping for a snow day here in Ohio! The hardest part of the year, for me at least, is definitely between winter break and spring break. I hope you have an amazing time in Hawaii. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete