Monday, July 1, 2013

Good enough teacher part one: Pinterest stress!


I'm sure you might be wondering, "what exactly do you mean by 'good enough teacher'?" And for those of you who know me very well, you are probably laughing at the title just a little bit, because you know what a perfectionist I am. But I'm going to let you all in on a little secret.... I'm just as insecure and overwhelmed as the next teacher. What's my trick? Accepting that I'm not perfect and using every trick in the book to make it look like I am!! I promise that most of my blog posts won't be super long, but this one probably will be! Bear with me though, because I promise it will be worth your time!!
 

Recently, I read an article on today.com that talked about moms who were overwhelmed from "Pinterest stress".... Let me just tell you, I'm not even a mom yet, and I also feel that Pinterest stress that these moms were talking about!! I already know that my children's nursery will never be cute enough, their birthday parties never creative enough, and someday they will probably end up in therapy for their lack of exciting, Pinterest-worthy lives! So I'll just apologize to my sweet unborn children now! Sorry, kids!

Along the lines of the Pinterest-stressed mammas, I would like to add Pinterest-stressed teachers to the list. Do you ever just look at a classroom with such envy, then think to yourself that you must be the worst teacher on the planet because your classroom doesn't look as cute as the one on Pinterest?? (Here's me in the corner raising my hand! "Yes, yes!!")  or maybe you're like me... You have tons of great pins on your Pinterest boards, but have yet to ever make JUST ONE of the ridiculously cute items floating around out in pin-land! I am SOOOO guilty of that. But you know what, when the first day of school rolls around, my students don't seem to mind.... They haven't seen all the cute pins floating around, all the ideas I meant to get around to, but just couldn't find the time for  (because I was too busy being lazy at the swimming pool all summer), so I am not a failure in their eyes. They show up, hang up their backpack, find their desk, and are usually pretty darn excited to have a brand new box of crayons with their name written on it! (7 year olds are easy to please!!)

In my decade of teaching, my classroom has never had a "theme".... Yup, that's right. I didn't even KNOW about these cutesie themed classrooms until about 2 years ago.... Frankly, the first time I saw one, I laughed... "Clearly you have too much time on your hands" I thought to myself. (And yes, admittedly, a part of me wished I had more time or were more creative.... But I didn't let it discourage me.)  Now, please understand one thing.... I am in no way trying to belittle those teachers who have the amazing, Pinterest-worthy classrooms.... The great thing about the teacher-bloggy community is that I have made many friends along this journey... I have nothing but love, admiration, and respect for all the amazing teachers out there. I choose to put my time and energy into things beside classroom decor. Maybe someday my classroom will end up on Pinterest, but for now I'm pretty sure it would be classified as a mismatched Pinterest-fail! Ha!! (And maybe someday I will get around to posting pictures... But today I'm typing on my iPad before heading to the pool, so the pics will just have to wait.)

 Well, I've rambled enough for one day.... My point is, it's okay to not be perfect. My tag line says "granting permission to let go of perfection"... So take a deep breath, let out a sigh, and realize that it's okay to not have a Pinterest-worthy classroom. We are all at different places on our teaching journey, and are all doing the best we can. Don't get discouraged by other classrooms!

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to share some tips and tricks that can help you in your journey to be "good enough" too! Make sure you're following me, because you won't want to miss out. There will be some great freebies and giveaways too! I will be spotlighting great teacher-created products that will save you time and help your classroom get off to a great start!

8 comments:

  1. I am one of "those" teachers. I go all out, and sometimes I spend way too much time on Pinterest and way too much money at the store during the summer to make it cute. I wish I could tell myself to "let go".

    Your blog is cute cute cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my own Martha Stewart moments...but I never have a pinterest worthy classroom. Just a crowed and cluttered classroom. My goal is to simplify and be less stressed.

    Love your blog by the way!
    Terri
    KinderKapers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, I didn't have a theme until I moved to a new school two years ago and had started following some bloggers. That first year I purchased several "monster" themed products and it was fun. This year I'm going patriotic for my 5th grade classroom and I'm really excited about it. I will admit that it's costing me more than I'd like though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! You are so right about the Pinterest stress! I am working on better organizing my classroom and I secretly wonder how those super cute and coordinated classrooms can even be possible! ;) My kids and I make way too many messes! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your blog. I am with you! Since TPT and all these neat teacher blogs, I've had classroom envy! You provide a balance and another perspective for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your post! I thought that "perfectionist" was in a teacher's job description. LOL Thank you for your honest, (and insightful) post. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I needed to read this today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete